Getting on layovers could be stressful and boring if your time would not be used properly. Here are some tips to make the most of your time while waiting for a connecting flight:
Before Leaving Airport Tips:
- Make sure that you have checked-in your luggage straight to your final destination and not on your layover destination. This is to prevent the hassle of looking for luggage facilities. But if you prefer to bring the luggage with you, check in advance if the layover airport has the necessary facilities for baggage storage.
- Your carry-on bag shall only be filled with the necessary items for your layover. Do not bring too much so that you could still move around the airport with ease and comfort. Among the things that should be in your layover carry-on are extra clothes, passport, identification, money, and medicines. Note that your extra clothing must be appropriate to the weather of your layover destination.
- You have to determine if your flight ticket actually permits you to leave the airport. Make sure to speak with the airline staff in order to set your expectations straight.
- It would be stressful to go on a layover during the wee hours of the night most especially if you haven’t arranged a hotel accommodation. Check with your airline if the layover includes accommodation and food.
Layover Arrival Tips:
- Go straight to the Immigration area particularly if you are on an international flight. Take the queue for foreigners.
- Go to the Customs. It is your duty to follow their rules such as allowing them to search your luggage or carry-on. Do not bring pornographic materials, meat products, fruits, and other drugs in order to prevent problems. Be prepared to fill out a particular form from the customs.
- Do not hesitate to approach the information desk of the airport to ask for an airport map. Having a map handy will allow you to maximize your layover time. Make sure that you also seek other information such as where currency exchange centers are, the location of transportation terminals, and more.